A 3 Step Training for more Well-Being

A 3 Step Training for more Well-Being

Basis, Structure and Specialization

You should follow these 3 steps if you're wanting your horse to feel more comfortable during training - including exercise suggestions!

Step 1: Versatile basic training without special requirements - for whom?

The first step or first level should be achieved by every horse that does more than just being out on the field. The horse learns correct movement patterns, functional movements and therefore it can move freely and loose underneath the rider. It gets the needed mobility and stability for the exercises of step 1.

For the first level, a time frame of 7-10 weeks are recommended to be sure the horse is really safe and confident doing the exercise. 

Step 1: You should practice this:

Ride your horse in a correct stretching position (forward-down) and train its stamina in all three basic gaits. Additionally you should work on the longitundinal bend: Correctly ridden circles with a diameter of 20 meters are suitable for starting the exercise. Trainers complements the above basics with so-called partial body movements such as shoulder fore or croup in, first at walk, then at trot. Your horse will find its personal feel-good rhythm with the help of lengthening its steps and initial transitions into walk-trot and trot-canter.

Photo by: @horsesbykristin - EquiZone Online

Make sure your horse has a correct stretching position. 

Step 2: Gentle but efficient increase in performance - for whom?

As soon as a horse can move freely and loose under the rider, you can set targeted training stimuli. As a result, his body learns to provide energy faster. Example: When jumping over small rows of obstacles or at a higher speed in the riding arena. 

Important: Always take breaks of up to five minutes so that the horses workload is not too high. 

Generally, the exercises of Level 2 should make up around 30% of one training session. The other 70% should consist out of exercises of Level 1. And you should take a time frame of 4 months into consideration. 

Level 2: Exercises: 

In order for the horse to develop the strength for efficient movements, you should ride it in a more uphill position. Also increase the longitudinal bend to 10 to 7 meter circles. This will develop the thrust from the hindquarters. 

Use hacks to develop even more strength by riding up- and downhill. Cavalettis are a perfect way to strengthen the hind quarters (in-out lines) and of course dressage exercises such as haunches in, renvers, shoulder-in or counter-shoulder-in, as well as canter - walk transitions. All these not only improve strength but also improve the ride ability of the horse.  


Video by: @kimixlehmann - EquiZone Online

Step 3: Specialization for a certain performance - who is it suitable for?

Specializations such as dressage, show jumping, eventing or endurance horses must be introduced to their specials skills with a more intense training.

The training stimuli you set depend on what you want to get your horse in shape for: for example with strength training for dressage horses for the carrying capacity of the hind legs or with endurance training for distance horses.


Level 3: You should practice this

Interval training over a period of at least three months has proven itself well for sports-oriented specialists. Training takes place in multiple alternation of short, intensive work sequences and longer recovery phases. The latter are used to replenish the energy store in the short term. However, they are so short that the horse's body cannot fully regenerate. This enables you to achieve stronger training stimuli.

Important: Be sure to stick to the individual steps. Is your horse a super talent? Brilliant! However, do not shorten the time units recommended.

If your horse learns a little more slowly, stay at the appropriate level until it has acquired the desired skills. Then you have all the trumps for feel-good training in your hand!


Photo by: @horsesbykristin - EquiZone Online

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.