Summer brings sunny days and outdoor adventures for both riders and their equine partners. As the temperature rises, it's crucial to pay special attention to your horse's well-being. In this blog post, we'll share valuable tips on summer horse care, focusing on grooming, hydration, and fly control. We'll also recommend some top-quality products available at EquiZone to enhance your horse's summer experience.
- Grooming for Comfort: Regular grooming is essential during the summer months to help your horse cope with the heat. Consider the following grooming tips:
- Cool your horse down after each workout. Just like humans, horses sweat, however due to their muscle mass and small skin surface it is much harder for them to cool down. It is especially important to cool a sweaty horse down properly to prevent muscle soreness and potential permanent body damage. By hosing them down with cool water you will help reduce their body temperature. Using a product such as Cavalor's Cool Sense, helps to cool the horse down further - it's the perfect wellness treatment for your horse after a hard workout!
- To help your horses summer coat, be sure to brush them regularly with high quality brushes. Using a curry comb will help remove any dirt and hairs, whilst a soft body brush or grooming mit will help add shine to your horses coat.
- If you have a horse with sensitive pink skin, be sure to protect them from the sun using a fly mask with nose piece (if the pink area is on the nose) or by applying sunscreen to prevent sunburn.
- Hydration is Key: Proper hydration is crucial to prevent dehydration and heat-related issues. Ensure your horse has access to clean, fresh water at all times, especially on hot days.
- If your horse has an automatic water in their box, be sure to check it at least twice a day to ensure it is working and not blocked. It is also great to give your horse the chance to drink from a fresh bucket of water after a workout or whenever you're in the stable. If your horse has worked particularly hard or sweated a lot, be sure to give them Electrolytes to help with the recovery process. Depending on the type of Electrolytes, you can add them to water (we strongly recommend adding to a bucket and offering it to the horse, rather than putting them in their stable water source) or sprinkled over feed.
- Another Electrolyte alternative is to hang a Unika elyte ball in your horses stable. These not only offer essential electrolytes but are a great boredom breaker for horses that spend a lot of time in the box.
- Fly Control: Pesky flies and insects can be a source of discomfort for your horse. Implement effective fly control strategies:
- Protect your horse's eyes and face from flies with the Kentucky Fly Mask. Ideal for both riding in and turnout, the fly mask will prevent horses irritating your horses eyes and ears.
- Combat flies and other insects with the NAF Fly Spray, a powerful formula that repels insects and offers long-lasting protection.
- Use a lightweight Fly rug such as the HKM Zebra rug which has a full neck and belly protection. The Zebra design also helps deter flies from landing on the horse.
By following these essential summer horse care tips and utilizing quality branded products available at EquiZone, you can ensure your equine partner remains healthy, comfortable, and happy throughout the summer season. Regular grooming, proper hydration, and effective fly control will contribute to their overall well-being. Enjoy summer with your horse, knowing that you're providing the best care possible.
Remember, each horse is unique, so it's important to adapt these tips to your horse's specific needs and consult with a veterinarian for personalized advice.